Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Poetry inspired by Mara

Come to Tea

I see you Mara-
I feel you in my heart.

Before I woke this morning
You crept into my dreams
like dawn on the horizon
I fought the urge to draw the curtains

You joined me in my closet, uninvited
Chiding my outfit choices
and hiding in the bathroom
While I showered

You brought along your friends:
Doubt, Anxiety and Self-loathing.
They are your biggest infantry,
and you know it.

But I did not ignore your red-eyed threats.
I did not run out the door, disheveled and shaken.
I did not brood.
In fact, I had been expecting you.

I had invited over my friends: Faith, Hope and Love.
I put on my suit of armor.
Smiling, I cooked eggs for two.
I invited you to tea.

In the brightness of the morning,
sitting at my table
You were not so scary.
You even looked kind of boring.

Facing you, I could move on.
I reminded myself how lucky I was to have eggs, a shower, and a closet.
I made it known that you were welcome
But your friends would have to go after a while.

I would need to get on with my day.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this philosophy and poem. "Come To Tea" is truly inspirational. I hadn't previously heard of Mara but I'm certainly familiar with the feeling of doubt. I usually remind myself that I'm too blessed to be stressed. From now on, I'll also consider inviting Mara to tea, facing my obstacles, and standing fast on my path to success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem! You are a beautiful writer. Thanks for sharing your gift with us:)

    ReplyDelete