Wednesday, July 28, 2010

HOPE

Hope is one of my favorite virtues. I remember first being able to personify hope as a little child, hearing about the Greek fable of Pandora's Box, in which Pandora unknowingly unleashed all of mankind's evil contained in a box; a gift from angry Zeus. At the bottom of this "box," however, contained hope...in some stories translated as a bird chasing the evil shadows out of the box. Other versions say hope stayed behind in the box.

"...Only Hope was left within her unbreakable house..."

Anyway, hope is the bird that chases away our evils. It is what carries us through. If we think about it hard enough, all of our lives are an intermixed box full of blessings and evils, yin and yang. Without each other, neither can flourish.

But I will get to the point.

The real reason of my post today is to direct you to a wonderful web site. If you have not yet heard of Gives Me Hope, you need to go there and check it out. Chances are if you are reading my blog you will really enjoy that site as well. It's an optimists playground. Sometimes if I'm having a bad day I go there to read the posts and feel lifted up as if I've been given wings.

Created in 2009 by University of Notre Dame alums Gaby Montero and Emerson Spartz as a reaction to the negativity on the website F MyLife, GMH has really grown in popularity in the last year and sparked a sister site, Love Gives Me Hope.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Melissa! Thanks for the website and the resources. I too am a "hopeless optimist," and would not change it for the world. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete